New Board Welcomed as EIC Experiences Significant Membership Growth and Increased Research, Standards and Programming Activity
The Events Industry Council (EIC), the global voice of the business events industry on advocacy, research, professional recognition and standards, today announced the election of officers and directors to its 2024 Board of Directors.
Ana María Viscasillas, MBA, CDME, DES, CED has been named Chairman of the Board. Viscasillas, a native of Puerto Rico, is a business tourism strategist for the Global Visitors Economy and Board Liaison and Immediate Past Vice President for COCAL (Federación de Entidades Organizadoras de Congresos y Afines de Latino América).
Viscasillas takes office during a time of noteworthy membership growth and increased activity for the organisation, which will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2024. “ I am deeply honoured to lead the EIC Board of Directors during this exciting and pivotal time for the business events industry,” Viscasillas said. “In fulfilling its mission, EIC has a unique global leadership role in advancing our industry across all sectors for the benefit of all members and partners.”
Viscasillas said she looks forward to working with the board, worldwide volunteer leaders, and management team to further the EIC vision. “I am incredibly enthusiastic about the work ahead of us as we engage with EIC’s global stakeholder community and further expand its footprint through the power of events.”
Viscasillas will be supported by incoming Chair-Elect Senthil Gopinath, CEO of the International Congress and Convention Association. EIC welcomed two new associations into its membership in 2023 — the LGBT Meeting Professionals Association and COMIR (Consejo Mexicano De La Industria De Reuniones). Additionally, 27 corporations were added to the EIC membership roster last year as part of its Founding 50 programme. (See full list of new corporate members below).
2023 also saw the release of important EIC-led industry research, including the Global Economic Significance of Business Events Study and Quarterly Global Business Events Barometers, which measured the consistent uptick in business event activity around the world.
The EIC Centre for Sustainability and Social Impact also experienced significant growth in 2023, with a growing number of individuals and organizations committing to the sustainability journey. More than 1,000 individuals have earned the Sustainable Event Professional Certificate, and 14 organisations have achieved certification for the EIC Sustainable Event Standards. These numbers are expected to grow considerably in the coming year as the Centre expands its reach.
2024 will also see the completion of the multiyear CMP Competency Profile Project, a comprehensive collaborative initiative to evaluate and update the CMP criteria and exam. Hundreds of CMPs from around the world have participated in the project’s focus groups, surveys and task force.
“With the support of our members, partners, volunteer leaders, CMP and SEPC
community, this is going to be a very exciting year at the Events Industry Council as we continue to lead and engage in global dialogue and collaboration,” said EIC CEO Amy Calvert.“EIC’s initiatives will unite industry thought leaders from across the globe to engage in conversations around sustainability, equity, inclusion, regenerative event practices and building capabilities for our workforce.”
EIC board members are nominated members of the overall Events Industry Council that consists of organizations spanning the globe and every sector in the events industry.These leaders are the governing body for the overall council with fiscal responsibility and strategic direction for all EIC programmes.
The full board is listed below:
2024 Board of Directors Officers
- Chair: Ana María Viscasillas, MBA, CDME, DES, CED: Federación de Entidades Organizadoras de Congresos y Afines de Latino América, Board Liaison and immediate Past Vice President COCAL
- Chair-Elect: Senthil Gopinath: CEO, International Congress and Convention Association.
- Immediate Past Chair: Sherrif Karamat, CAE: President & CEO, PCMA and CEMA.
2024 Board of Directors
- Jason Dunn Sr.: Executive Director, National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals (NCBMP).
- Robert (Bob) Gilbert: President and CEO, Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI).
- Stephanie Harris: President, The Incentive Research Foundation .
- Michelle Mason, FASAE, CAE: President and CEO, ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership.
- Elizabeth Niehaus: Executive Officer, IELA (International Exhibition Logistics Association).
- Tina Wehmeir, CMP, CAE: CEO, AMC Institute.
EIC Corporate Members
- Accor Hotels
- ALHI (Strategic Partner)
- Caesars Entertainment
- Cvent (Strategic Partner)
- Discover Puerto Rico
- Encore (Strategic Partner)
- Global Destination Sustainability Movement (GDS)
- Hilton (Strategic Partner)
- IMEX Global (Strategic Partner)
- LA Tourism
- Los Cabos Tourism Board
- Maritz Global Events
- Marina Bay Sands (Strategic Partner)
- MGM Global (Strategic Partner)
- Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Omni Hotels & Resorts
- Professional and Scientific Associates
- PROMTUR PANAMÁ
- San Diego Tourism Authority
- Speakers Spotlight
- Turisme De Barcelona-Barcelona Convention Bureau
- Visit Baltimore
- Visit Denver
- Visit Las Vegas
- Visit Scotland
About Events Industry Council
- The Events Industry Council’s global federation includes 33 Association.
- Members representing 103,500 individuals and 19,500 entities, and 22 Corporate.
- Members with global operations and event teams in countries around the world.
EIC is the global champion for event professionals and event industry excellence. It promotes high standards and professionalism in the events industry with the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) programme and signature programme activities. The CMP credential is recognized globally as the badge of excellence in the events industry. The qualifications for certification are based on professional experience, education, and a rigorous exam. Learn more at www.eventscouncil.org